Sizzling Japanese Tofu and Pork (Hot Plate Tofu)
- 1 tube egg tofu
- 2 cups oil
- 1 small squash or feel free to substitute any of your favorite vegetables to this dish
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp sriacha
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1/4 lb ground pork 20% fat
1. Cut the egg tofu into slices approx 1/2 inch thick
2. Heat about 2 cups of oil in a wok. It's ready when you stick a wooden chopstick into the oil and see bubbles form
3. Deep fry the tofu until golden brown
4. Place fried tofu on a paper towel to drain
5. Slice squash into bite sized pieces that you can pick up with a chopstick
6. Add 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp pepper , 1 tsp cornstarch, and pinch of salt and pepper, and to the ground pork. Let marinate for at least 10 minutes.
7. Start on your sauce: Add 2 tbsp oyster sauce, 1 tbsp sriacha, 1 tbsp SShaoxing wine, 1/2 cup water, and mix
8. On high heat, add oil to coat the pan.
9. Add garlic and stir fry quickly until fragrant
10. Add pork and stir fry until half cooked
11. Add squash or your chosen veggies. Stir fry until slightly tender
12. Add the sauce mixture and bring to a boil
13. Add 1 tbsp sugar
14. Add salt and pepper to taste
15. Mix 1 tbsp corn starch with 2 tbsp water. Pour into the pan and mix to thicken the sauce.
OPTIONAL PORTION (FOR SHOW): Heat Hot Plate on Stove. Pour beaten eggs on top. Then add the fried tofu and top with meat and veggie mixture
If you don't have a hot plate, just add the fried tofu to the plate and top with the pork and sauce mixture
This is my favorite comfort food recipes. It's easy to make and you don't need to do the whole fancy hotplate thing unless you have someone to impress. You can skip the hotplate altogether and just serve it in a regular plate. I do like to use the hotplate personally when eating by myself because it keeps everything sizzling hot, but that's just a personal preference.
Let's get started! Start off by grabbing your egg tofu tube and slicing it about 1/2 inch thick slices.
Egg tofu isn't available at all grocery stores, I couldnt find it at the Korean grocery store. It's pretty easy to make at home also as a back up option, will show a recipe for that soon!